Monday, February 26, 2007

Cheng Teng Dessert

I invited some friends over to my place yesterday, for our annual cny gathering. Wanted to get them over for lunch and cooked a feast for them but they prefer high tea (they didnt want to give me too much hassle :p), so in the end fried some stuff and cooked this dessert for them :) This is one of my favourite dessert, got the recipe from my cantonese mother.

Finally, got a chance to display the picture of my food. Does it look appetising enough? hehe :)


Ingredients for 10pax share:

- 50 grams white fungus, washed and soaked overnight and break into small pieces (will taste better this way. too big a piece, you may find it hard to swallow)
- 50 grams dried lily bulbs, washed and soaked overnight
- 50 grams fresh gingko nuts, remove the shells and soaked overnight
- 30 grams dried LianZi,washed and soaked overnight
- 30 grams large sago, washed on the day you are going to cook and set aside
- 30 grams dried logan meat (the big fat round ones from thailand, can be purchased from ShopnSave),washed on the day you are going to cook and set aside
- about 14 red dates (of average size)
- some rock sugar (preferred to use rock sugar to cook dessert, smell and taste better)
- Pot of water, about 3/4 full (use a slightly bigger than average size pot)

How to cook:

- Boil the pot of water together with your red dates, lily bulbs, gingko nuts and LianZi
- When the water boils, add in the white fungus and logan meat
- When it boils again, turn the fire lower and let it boils slowly for 30-40mins
- Add in the rock sugar and large sago, let it boils for another 15mins (Dont add the large sago too early, it will 'melt')
- Once the gingko nuts and Lianzi (the hardest to soften of all) already soften and chewable, it is ready to be served. If you like it cold, you may add in ice and serve as a cold dessert

Notes:
1. The amount of ingredients serve as a general guide. You may add in more according to your preference.
2. All my ingredients purchased from ShopnSave, so you can go there and get all the stuff at one shopping.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wah! Very good leh! I'm going to try this! You are cantonese huh? My hubby also leh. Cantonese can make very good soup hor. So, I'm expecting to see some here leh. hehehe

Unknown said...

You know I have the same recipe as what you have leh. Bought the stuff before CNY until now still havent cook. Hahaha ... my hubby ask me where's his Cheng Teng. ;p

shoppingmum said...

You should have started a cooking blog a long time ago! You can really cook! Next time when I wanna learn cooking, I'll find some recipe here. :P

Tracemee said...

Thanks WM, I am half cantonese :p My dad is a hokkien but I think I inherit more of my mom's genes hehe :D

Yes, Cantonese loves soups and desserts so I will try to put up some of these receipes from my mom, also for me to refer in future otherwise she will nag at me for always asking her...hahaha

So, have you started on your cheng teng cooking? ;)

Tracemee said...

Thanks SM, not really a good cook yet lah...still learning...we all learn together and exchange pointers yah! :)

Unknown said...

Ai yo! Pai say! Till today, the ingredients still in my dry store. I think they all fall into deep sleep liao. hahaha.